This was the model that started it all.
Based on elements of the prewar BMW 326, 327 and powered by a development of the famous BMW328 2 Litre sports racing engine, fitted with a four speed gearbox, with freewheel on first gear, the Type 400 was the Car Division’s first project. Coachwork was traditional steel on ash frames, with alloy door, bonnet and boot panels. A well balanced, high performance sports tourer, it was immediately successful in postwar motorsport.
420 were built between 1949 – 1950, inc 2 cabriolets. Max speed (on 75 octane Pool petrol) 92 mph, cost (with luxury tax) £2,373/14s 6d